Tips on Cyber Safety & Security
Here are some Internet security tips that you can follow to stay safe online:
1. Respect the privacy of others
2. Report and flag content that is abusive or illegal
3. Adhere to copyright restrictions when downloading material from the Internet, including software, games, movies, or music.
4. Use an alias/ alternate name as username if you use need to interact/ chat with others online.
5. Report online bullying immediately to teacher/ parents/ some one whom you trust.
6. Use a strong and unique password combinations of numbers, uppercase & lowercase letter and special characters for each account(s).
7. Keep browser, operating system and antivirus up-to-date.
8. Obtain software from trusted sources. Always scan files before opening them.
9. Lock your screen when you’re finished using your computer/ tablet/ phone. Further, set it tolock automatically when it goes to sleep.
10. Check to see if the web address begins with https:// whenever you sign in online.
11. Make privacy settings in social media accounts such that profile and posts are visible only to close friends and acquaintances.
12. Connect only with known individuals.
13. Be mindful of your digital reputation — think twice before you post something embarrassing, harmful or inappropriate.
14. Report to the service provider immediately if the account is hacked. If possible deactivate your account.
15. Don’t share your personal information: real name, date of birth, phone number etc. unnecessary.
16. Don’t send your pictures to unknown persons or share it in social media.
17. Don’t open emails and attachments from strangers.
18. Don‛t respond to any suspicious email, instant message or web page asking for personal information.
19. Don’t enter a password when someone is sitting beside you as they may see it.
20. Don‛t share your password with anyone.
21. Don’t save your username and password on the browser.
22. Don’t steal other‛s information.
23. Don‛t access or use files without the permission of the owner.
24. Don’t copy software which has copyright without the author’s permission.
25. Don’t bully others online by teasing, threatening, using rude or offensive language, making derogatory or hateful comments etc.
26. Don’t use someone else‛s password even if it is shared with you.
27. Don’t log in as someone else to read their emails or mess with their online profiles.
28. Don’t attempt to infect or in any way try to make someone else‛s computer unusable.
29. Meet people you’ve known through online alone; inform an adult or a friend.
30. Don’t open or download any attachments from an unknown source as they may contain viruses.